Tuesday, September 20, 2016

From the wilderness of prison to the Promised Land of freedom

Why does Corey Clark go back to prison after being jailed three times?

“God said, 'go back and show your gratefulness to Me,'" Clark said. "He told me to go back and be an example. He told me to go back and be a light so that they can see and turn from their wicked ways and turn to Him. He told me to go back and be a voice for Him."

Clark, 41, was imprisoned at Hutchins State Jail. He first went to jail for burglary, then went back for theft and for the third time, he went to jail for robbery. Clark said he "was on drugs and that’s the reason why I was stealing —  using drugs and in that cycle over and over — running around in the wilderness."

Life changed when he applied to live at Dallas Leadership Foundation’s Faith-Based Dorm during his third time at Hutchins. He was discipled to be a spiritual leader by James Reed, director of DLF’s Reentry program that operates the dorm. “He was a great example in my life,” Clark said of Reed. “He preached the Word to me."

Corey Clark ministering the Gospel that radically changed his life.
Learning what the Word says about Jesus Christ transformed Clark. "He allowed me to come into the Promised Land. He exposed me and gave me knowledge of His promises, and now I'm in my sabbath rest in Christ. There's milk and honey in Christ."

The New Orleans native has been active in ministry and has married since his release. His wife Austerlitz shares his passion for Christ, and they serve together by feeding the poor and visiting the Salvation Army.  They've been married more than a year. "She's a lover of Jesus, she evangelizes, and she has a passion for Christ and a love for Christ, and she expresses it every day."

Clark was certified to work in prison more than two years ago. At one time, he was visiting the jail twice a month, but now he visits every Tuesday. "Just like Peter was called to go to the circumcision, and Paul was called to go to the Gentiles, I was called to go to the prison,” he said.

When he sees men he knew in prison, and other men strung out on drugs and struggling, he sees his former life and his heart fills with compassion. Clark said he tries to be an example to them and encourages them with his testimony. "God took ahold of my heart, came in, and gave me a new one. And now he's leading me to do different things with my body.

"You can, with the Lord, do good," he said. "You don't have to keep on doing evil. "

God calls Christians to remember the prisoner, Clark said, and He uses the weak things to confound the wise. "So, it's very important to invest your time and your efforts into ministering to men and women who are broken in prison," he said.

To learn more how you can help DLF reach men like Corey Clark and disciple them, visit dlftx.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment